Cupid’s Donuts – A Valentine Treat
Over the weekend, I felt crafty and ambitions, and perhaps spurred on by the fact that I needed to bring a breakfasty item to Sunday School for a class brunch. Can I tell you something? I ADORE those inexpensive (and terribly bad for you) powdered donuts from the grocery store. I just die for them. In fact, when Hostess announced they were going out of business, my sister-in-law snatched up the remaining bags for me. Oh, and the equally non-gourmet waxy chocolate ones? I might fight you Hunger Games-style for them. So I got to thinking – they’d be the perfect little Valentine’s Day treat! They’re perfect for a quick-and-easy Valentine’s Day breakfast for your kiddos. Jude flipped out; he LOVED them.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these cute little treats —
And don’t forget the kitchen shears – they’re the most important tool!
Instructions for arrow:
- Trim the bamboo skewers as odds are, they’ll be too long.
- Cut several pieces of washi tape and apply them to the stick to create the tail of the arrow. It’d be really cute to do more than just 1 little tail, but I was only ambitious enough for what’s shown this time around.
- Trim the washi tape tail to make it look more arrow-esque. (Is that a word? It is now.)
Instructions for Heart Donut
- Skewer your donut. Remember how it was when you got your ears pierced and get it over quickly. 😉
- Using your kitchen shears, cut a V in the top of the donut. If needed, trim a little around the top to soften it and make it look more heart-shaped.
- Then, cut another V at the bottom of the heart shape to create the point at the bottom. Again, you may need to make it slightly more of a rounded V shape.
- Keep in mind that the, erm, flesh of the donut will be visible. If that bothers you, have a little extra powdered sugar ready to dip it in. But you know what else would be great? To dip those suckers in melted chocolate and then add sprinkles or something else. I mean really, the sky’s the limit here!
And voila! You have a delightfully precious little Valentine treats that are easy & fast to make. Go ahead — you call me Semi Homemade with Pencil Shavings.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.