Sneak Peek: Bonus Room Re-Do
I’m nowhere near finishing up my bonus room re-do, but I did want to give you a sneak peek of how it’s turning out.
Honestly, this was one of the crazier painting projects I’ve embarked up. Let’s just say there were … snafus. On the last day of painting, I had carefully laid out my drop cloth under the part I was painting. Other areas were already finished and thus (logically?) not protected. So anyway, the phone rang while I was painting, sitting on the drop cloth that was draped over the table.
Can you guess where this is going? Well, as I grabbed the phone, and plopped back down onto the floor, apparently my rear end decided to pull the drop cloth down with it.
And the can of white paint, too.
Luckily, the can fell straight off the table onto the floor and didn’t turn over. HOWEVER. The force of the fall made the paint inside the can launch out like a cannonball and it shot paint ONTO THE CEILING.
It gets better.
I was on the phone with my husband at that very moment. I screamed and he thought I had been shot or something. I hung up the phone and commenced freaking out as I watched the paint drip drop from the ceiling onto my (uncovered) carpet. It was like a Jackson Pollock painting. On my floor. It was a disaster and I just knew that my husband was going to SHOOT me. He was already less than thrilled with my paint job as I had a few drips of the navy paint on the carpet already. ::sigh::
So I called my mom, freaking out, and there might have been a couple of frantic phone calls to some really clueless men at the SherwinWilliams store. I have zero doubt that I sounded like a crazy person.
But Mom was able to save the day, along with Kim and Mike and all is well. Of course, my mom did call Simon and beg him not to kill me. He graciously acquiesced. 🙂
I’m nowhere done with this room. I’m still rearranging and trying to figure out the best way to accessorize the room. But overall, I am really happy with the result. The room feels so much more cohesive now. I made faux-Roman drapes (meaning, they just hang there – they don’t actually go up and down) out of IKEA fabric. I’ve also spraypainted a few things, like that arrow in the photo below (it was white previously).
I also moved Jude’s rocking chair out here. I really like it in that previously weird nook area.
This room is still really difficult to photograph and looks dark in photos, but the lamps REALLY help. I found this pair of ginger-jar mini lamps on eBay for $20. The lampshades are from Garden Ridge for $3 apiece. The lamps were originally white, and I spraypainted them yellow as well.
The little kids table that I found on the side of the road last year has gotten a slight makeover – you can’t really tell in this photo, but I recovered the top with leftover yellow zigzag fabric. I definitely want to paint the legs of that table.
All in all, it’s coming together. I still want a few other accessories like a mirror or two to draw in the light. And I’m still wanting it to feel a little more cohesive and pulled together. I have a ton of photos to hang on the long wall (that you can’t see here) and I’m also waiting on some chairs to come in the mail. We had to order outdoor furniture (due to insurance stuff) because of the hail damage, and I talked Simon into the Tolix A-chairs! We found them on sale, and so during the winter, they’ll live inside with us. CANNOT WAIT!!!
Hopefully I’ll have more to show as I slowly get everything cleaned up and put back together.
You might also enjoy:
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.